Morning, Wednesday, 1st April 2020
THIS EVENT IS CPD CERTIFIED
This conference will assess the Scottish Government’s strategy for housing and the new framework for regulation.
Delegates will discuss the Government's draft vision and principles for housing and communities in Scotland - Housing to 2040.
The timing is significant - as government will be considering the response to its ongoing consultation on the draft vision and preparing a delivery map, planned for publication this summer.
The seminar will be an opportunity to hear directly from Aileen Campbell MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government on next steps following the consultation.
Those attending will also assess the implementation so far of the regulatory framework for social housing in Scotland, which was introduced last year.
They will consider priorities for the Scottish Housing Regulator in fulfilling its objectives of safeguarding and promoting the interests of those who are homeless, tenants of social landlords, or recipients of housing services provided by social landlords - including in ensuring the safety of tennants.
It also comes with:
- The passage of the Planning (Scotland) Act 2019, which aims to increase the amount of house building in Scotland, and
- As The Scottish Government formulates its approach to the National Planning Framework 4 and commences early engagement with a wide range of stakeholders.
We also expect discussion on the Scottish Government's recent response to its consultation on short term lets which includes the potential to give powers to local authorities to introduce short term let control areas following the passage of the Planning Act.
Speakers and chairs
There will be keynote addresses from:
- Aileen Campbell MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government; and
- Ian Brennan, Director of Regulation, Scottish Housing Regulator.
Further speakers include: Moira Bayne, Housing Options Scotland; John Blackwood, Scottish Association of Landlords; Gordon MacRae, Shelter Scotland; John Marr, UK Finance; Susan McDonald, Addleshaw Goddard; Gordon Nelson, Federation of Master Builders; Dr Louise Reid, Centre for Housing Research, University of St Andrews; Jim Strang, Chartered Institute of Housing; Sally Thomas, Scottish Federation of Housing Associations; Mike Thornton, Energy Saving Trust; Karen Turner, Rettie & Co. Ltd and a senior speaker confirmed from Living Rent.
The chairs are Graham Simpson MSP, Member, Cross-Party Group on Housing, The Scottish Parliament and David Stewart MSP, Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Eradication of Poverty and Social Inequality.
- The Scottish Government’s strategy for housing across Scotland;
- Assessing Housing to 2040 and the route map: accessibility, affordability and energy efficiency;
- Meeting Scotland’s housing needs: homelessness, supporting an ageing population, and tackling poverty;
- Social housing and the private rental sector: balancing the interests of tenants and landlords, improving existing housing stock, and controlling rent increases in the private sector; and
- The regulatory framework from the Scottish Housing Regulator: implications for tenants and Registered Social Landlords (RSLs).